Wednesday, January 7, 2009

27 Years of Steven

(written 9/20/07)

27 Years of being Steven...

Well, as you probably know, today is my birthday. 27 years ago this morning, around 5:45am I was brought into this world by my parents, actually it was just mom because the thought of my dad doing the whole birthing process is just plain sick, and when I think of males giving birth, I'm always reminded of the movie Junior, the movie with Arnold Schwarzenneger who is pregnant, and that's an insult to my dad, but I digress.

No, the point I'm trying to make are not the merits of craptacular movies brought to us by Arnie, but something a little more realistic. One of the best quotes I've ever heard, surprisingly, isn't from a movie, or a song. Right around my junior year in college I was taking an English Composition course and I came across a quote that said, "once you stop learning, you're dead". At the time, it didn't really become engrained into my brain, say the way pi = 3.14 did, or on, a much lower level, "The Code" for 30 Free Men in Contra did.

Looking back on that quote, it really started to become more and more clear about the actual meaning of that quote, in other words, the does have some redeeming meaning, unlike, a random movie quote, say, "Up your butt, Jobu" for example. As, I have gotten older, (note: not matured per se), but older (read: birthdays) I have actually come to embrace that quote, and actually it does take on a bit more meaning to me, sometimes it's extremely relevant, like professionally speaking, and other times, it's just random knowledge, like knowing "TYPEWRITER" is the longest word you can spell using only the top keys in a QWERTY keyboard. Go ahead and try it out…I'll be here waiting.

(Waiting….waiting…..still waiting)

See, I told you, you learn something new everyday that is unless you already knew that, but that's beside the point. So what exactly am I trying to get at…if anything? It's this: everyday we learn something new, no matter how mundane it is, how trivial it is, how important it is, how crucial it is, there is always something new to us each and everyday. In the past 27 years of my life, I've come across some pretty interesting stuff, some not so much, but one thing is for sure, I've learned a lot about life. Thus, I bring to you, the things I've come to learn in life during the past 27 years of being Steven Ray Ramirez, some of them silly, others serious, but all of them I've come to learn. Enjoy.

Over the past 27 years, I've come to learn that:

-Contrary to popular opinion, chocolate milk doesn't come from black cows and regular milk doesn't come from white cows.

-Like Dorothy says, there really is no place like home. Home is something you can always count on.

-Sometimes you are the only one you can really count on in life, and even sometimes then you can't even count on yourself.

-Trust takes a lifetime to earn, and minutes to destroy.

-Alanis Morrisette doesn't understand the term "ironic"

-When you win, you actually lose and when you lose, you actually win…and sometimes you tie

-Love is the most dangerous four letter words in the English vocabulary

-Is it better to have love and lost, than to never have loved at all? Sometimes its better to not know the right answer.

-3.2% beer is a joke; why even screw around with it, just opt for the 5% variety

-All chick flicks aren't actually that bad.

-AsGeorge Strait sings, you can't make a heart love somebody

-Doing things right the first time is the best way to do things

-The best angle to approach a problem is the "try-angle"

-I am losing my man-card for writing that last statement

-My parents have been through just about everything I have done or been through before.

-I couldn't have made it through life without my family and brothers.

-Next to my family, the most important thing I have in this life is my friends.

-I love Texas country music. And there is nothing wrong with that.

-Having to pay taxes is so overrated.

-Fate does exist, even if you don't believe in it, it believes in you.

-The mind is stronger than the body…

-…Unless your body is Tiger Woods'

-Honesty, sometimes, is the hardest thing to accept in life.

-Nickelback sucks

-Eddie and the Cruisers is the most underrated movie. Ever.

-I've traveled all over the world, and when I say this, I mean it: the most beautiful women in the world are from Texas.

-As Snoop Dogg says in Starsky and Hutch, "to 'er is human, but to forgive is divine"

-Never swim less than 30 minutes after eating, unless you want to blow chunks.

-When you get your heartbroken, it just grows back stronger.

-Saying "I love you" can be impossibly difficult.

-Not saying "I love you" can be even more damning to someone than saying it hollow.

-Even though I may act like a hellion, I absolutely believe in Jesus and know he's the reason for what I have in my life.

-Friends come and go, like the wind, others stick around through thick and thin.

-When life gives you hops and oats, make beer out of it

-As Joe Dirt says, "Life's a garden, dig it"

-As John Michael Montgomery sings, "Life's a dance, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow. Don't worry about what you don't know, life's a dance, you learn as you go"

-Some of the most important life lessons, I've learned in kindergarten.

what you have, it's who you have that matters.

-Money can't buy happiness….but it can make life easier.

-I dance horribly well, and don't think anything of it.

-Prejudices and biases are no way to go through life.

-Ignorance is bliss, unless it really isn't.

-Don't compare yourself to others; just do the best you can.

-Shoot for the moon, if you miss, you're still with the stars.

-Top 40 radio is increasingly bad.

-I'll admit it, I downloaded Big Girls Don't Cry on my laptop.

-I love being from Texas, in fact so much, my tattoo will symbolize it.

-At times, my younger brothers are more mature than me.

-No matter how much I try, there are some things I just don't understand

-Vince Young aside, my parents are my heroes.

-No matter how we slice it, we're all held accountable for our actions.

-Sometimes you just have to say, "what the fuck?"

-You can make someone else happy if you aren't happy with yourself.

-Liquor before beer, you're in the clear. Beer before liquor and you've never been sicker.

-There's always tomorrow

-You can tell a lot about person by the way they karaoke.

-It's the smaller things in life I cherish the most

-Just when you think you know all the answers, they change the questions

-Duct tape can fix just about anything

-It's okay to want everything in the world, but it's also okay not having everything in the world

-I still have a lot more to learn

-You never know who's watching you

-Crying is an okay option for males, for girls, it is usually the only option.

-Everything I've done in my life has shaped me one way or another into the person I am today. If that's a good thing or a bad thing remains to be seen.

-Everyone in this world is different, accept it; it's a good thing.

-There's a difference between being educated and being smart

-I'm not as smart as I think I am

-You can't make a second first impression….I wish I could though.

-Nobody's perfect, so don't expect people to be.

-You never know when someone will be taken away from you.

-Peeing on an electrical fence isn't a smart idea

-Alcohol is the easiest way to loosen up, but also the most dangerous

-Your true feelings come out when you're drunk.

-Next to God, my mom knows me better than anyone else in the world.

-Life doesn't always play out like it does in the movies.

-Sometimes you don't have to say anything for someone else to know what you're thinking.

-I'm pretty good at hiding my real emotions, but when they come out, they come out.

-I'll never get what I really want

-Big girls don't cry

-I don't need anyone else in this world to make me happy, I'm alright on my own.

And finally,

-Life is sorta' like a rollercoaster. It's has it's up and down, it's peaks and valleys, it's highs and lows, but one thing is for sure; it's thrilling. We always come back for more and, in some weird way, we need that excitement in our lives, it's keeps us young and keeps us sane. Some people like the merry-go-round, staying even, never changing, and being comfortable; it keeps them at ease because it makes them feel safe. Not me. Give me the thrills of the rollercoaster we call "life". That's what keeps me sane. So, if you excuse me, I'm off to dinner with my friends and then off to Sammy's (or Pub Fiction). If thrills are what keeps me sane, after tonight, I will have experienced nirvana.

Like 50 Cent says, "I don't give a fuck, 'cause it's my birthday" (hey, I could've said, "I'm into having sex, I ain't in to making love"). So, if you excuse me, I'm off. Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment